One thing I'll say, if you want to save money, don't go out in the city from morning till night.
This is the first time I've bought leather. I haven't felt confident to work with it in the past. I barely feel confident now though many have told me that it's no harder than working with fabric. These skins are like butter with an electric hue that would stop traffic. I don't know what kind of animal this comes from (maybe I should have asked). Each piece is about the same size (they both have a 6 and a 2 stamped on the back). Each was 30 bucks.
It's enough leather to make 2 bags or a skirt and I don't know which would be the better use of a truly sublime material.
Pros of Making Skirt:
- I know how to make a skirt and I have a great TNT.
- Who has a butter soft leather skirt in electric blue for 60 bucks??? Seriously, that would cost 800 bucks in a shop, given the quality of this skin.
- I have enough leather to make 2 medium-sized bags, the first of which I could iron out the kinks and give away as a gift.
- I have no idea of how to make a bag and I don't know if this is the material to practice on. I mean, it's soft and forgiving and I do have 2 skins, but maybe I need to start with less special leather.
- I haven't seen any patterns that appeal to me. I want to make a very chic bag which simulates a modern shape such as either of these:
|Rough and Tumble Sling Bag|
Admittedly, I haven't done much research of bag patterns as yet, but what I've found is very "fabric tote for carrying baby things" or messenger bag. If anyone can point me in the direction of patterns like the bags I've linked to above, I'd so appreciate it. BTW - I can branch out from these shapes, but I don't want something that looks like a suburban fabric carry-all. Now that I'm wearing flats, I cannot drop the ball with the bag!
Today's Questions (and I really need your feedback!): What's your favourite bag pattern? Have you made a leather bag and, if yes, how did it go? What other notions might I require (i.e. leather needles)? Do you think that very soft leather can hold up to a bag (if it's lined)? Fuck, how do you line a bag??? I know Craftsy has a course but I find I don't put those to very good use. I prefer online resources - websites or YouTube - cuz they tend to be quicker. I hate those Craftsy waste-of-time bumpers.