Sunday, June 24, 2012

Short Cut to Short Rows

Craftsy lured me back last week with a "We Haven't Seen You in a While" coupon. I got Kenneth King's jeans tutorial for $19.99. When first I looked at it, months ago, I'm sure it cost $80.00.

I just went to visit, for kicks, and found a new course on short rows taught by Carol Feller - for FREE! I don't know if it just managed to be free for me (that I think this is within the realm of possibility says a lot about me) or if it's simply a free course. Maybe it's just free today? At any rate, you can't go wrong with a free course on short rows. Even if you can't imagine ever needing to use them, trust me, you will.

I'm intrigued to see that Craftsy course fees seem to be coming down. Courses that went for 80 bucks (and I don't think I'm imagining that) are now half that. I wonder what that's about?

Update 2 seconds after posting: Apparently, everyone who's left comments on the short rows course is complaining about the video taking forever to load and then glitching. Hmmm... I guess Craftsy hasn't got its act together yet? Maybe you can go wrong with a free course? I'm going to see if it'll work for me...

Yet another update: I've been watching the video for an hour without incident. All I can say is that the instruction is excellent - Ms. Feller is the clearest and least chatty instructor I've watched on the site so far. (Note that I'm not looking for a conversationalist. I just want the instructor to explain the issue clearly without fluff and this teacher delivers.) I've worked a lot of short rows lately. Over a couple of projects, I've applied them to create shaping in sleeve caps, bust darts and the curl-over curve of a shawl collar. I'm really happy to have access to this video to learn about the Japanese method (and when it's most useful) and how to manipulate stitches to pick up wrap and turn loops tautly. No complaints here so far.

10 comments:

  1. Good to know-- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the price cut too. I bought a class at half off because I am cheap and really wanted to get it. I knew that I didn't have the sewing skills neccissary to take the class yet, but they say the classes last forever. I looked at it the other day and bam the new price for the class is the same as the half off that I paid. I am afraid to go back now and see how much it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got the same email & went for the same course (jeans, that is). what shall you name your jeans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know! Something else I gotta think about :-)

      Delete
  4. Oooh free you say! (That's a good way to make my ears prick up!) I will definitely check this out :) Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are you going to start your own clothing line, that's what I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well I did just come up with the name for it...

      Delete