Sunday, June 10, 2012

In Which I Can't Decide to Write About Just One Thing

Talk about your mash up post!

For starters, I really want to hang out here today (and for the next 2 months):

See the full post (with lots of pics) at Desire to Inspire...
That is, after I finish my yearly Parkdale horticultural tour with Nicole. Not a cloud in the sky and expected temp is 31C. I do love this tradition. Here's hoping someone's got a fancy garden with a pool I can pretend I own (a rarity in these parts, as you'd expect)...

Yesterday, S came over for a few hours and we completely changed the alterations of my first muslin. It's amazing how much we accomplished by viewing the fabric in a different light. Then we transferred the changes onto my pattern. Man, it took forever! Like a bottle of wine forever! And there were two of us doing it. OK, two of us drinking a bottle of wine. We started to understand why Sarah Veblen suggests making only a couple of alterations per muslin. Note: We really struggle with the waste of time and materials involved in using that technique, so we do push the envelope.

OMG - my altered flat pattern looks so Frankensteinian, it's crazy. S assures me that as soon as I make a new paper pattern (one that doesn't show all the added paper and slashes and markings), it will no longer look strange. But right now I feel freakish so unique. We even added these tiny darts at the front neck (sounds awful but they look great - like a design feature). It's strange to think that, were I to change the neckline from a high jewel, the need for those darts would simply disappear. I have so much fun working with S, who has a very technical approach to sewing and who gently reins me in whenever I approximate things free-hand! On the flip-side, it can look like a bomb went off in the sewing room and that doesn't bother her a whit! (Meanwhile, I have small anxiety attacks and pick up bits of paper and thread just to feel in control of my universe :-))

Eventually, I'm going to apply my learning (detailed posts to come as soon as I have the mental energy) to this AWESOME pattern, which Gail so generously gifted to me:


The side and front darts are exactly in the same orientation as my bodice shell's (my altered bodice shell). I love the hair those models are sporting. And that the pattern is called Slenderette! Who doesn't want to make a dress called the Slenderette Sheath??

29 comments:

  1. It will look great afterwards and this craziness will be a thing of the distant past lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'll wear it while sitting by that pool! :-)

      Delete
  2. That house you linked is so lovely! I love your vintage pattern. That dress will be wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do appreciate a good mixed-up post which shows me someone else tangling with an abundance of interests and passions! Sounds like a very full weekend -- can't wait to hear about those gardens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the best tours we've taken. I don't know how it is that we've been going on a tour for the last 5 yrs in the same neighbourhood (a big one, albeit) hosted by the same horticultural society and we've never seen a repeat.

      Delete
  4. LOL on the "Frankenstein pattern"!!! Yeah I'm always amazed at how different my body is from the so-called "standard" pattern. Sometimes after a massive pattern change like that I just convert my muslin into a pattern. Sigh....the lengths we go to for pattern perfection. It's so worth it though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, once we slashed the back to give 4.5 cm of extra length over my slightly rounded neck, I was totally over having that pattern look "envelope normal" :-)

      Delete
  5. I think once you make the dress, you're pretty much going to have to get the matching hair. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least a good mixed of interests K :)
    And that pattern is really awesome, I'm sure the dress will look great on you.

    Hope all is fine with you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seeker. All is well here. Hope things are well for you too.

      Delete
  7. You are so lucky to have S to help you. Yes that is an awesome pattern. I can't wait to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is great to have a companion with skill. But you have that in Martin, yes? He's into the sewing too!

      Delete
    2. Yes! In fact he's started my shirt muslin. I'm so excited. I think if I can get a good fitted shirt pattern out of his draping process I'll be in heaven. He does no measuring at all -- just has me try it on to mark lines. Very interesting.

      Delete
  8. The way I look at it, if working on muslins means the finished garment turns out well, then it's not time wasted. I tend to use crap fabrics for muslins (or make wearable ones)... The bad bad fabric is usually thrifted or given to me in de-stashes and they're horrible so it's no waste to use them for "practice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I use actual muslin (it's easier to find the grain and to draw lines on it) for the early prototypes. Eventually I move on to the wearable muslin fabric. It's amazing how many of those I have :-)

      Delete
  9. I've said it before, but lucky you for having a fitting buddy. The pattern is so lovely, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY SEWING! ahem, i mean, yay knitting too. knitting rocks.

    i have several "slenderette" envelopes and i think they're the prettiest vintage envelopes ever. and you have to laugh at that marketing. hey ladies, look thin in a sort of faux french way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, it's hard to keep all the crafts straight! Aren't they gorgeous envelopes? I just want to go for coffee with those ladies!

      Delete
  11. i would like to be at a location with pool and perfect weather too! alas i am stuck at work. sigh.

    you are such the seamstress! i thought of you the other day when i attempted to alter a dress. i'd say i gave it a noble effort, but it did NOT work out well. annoying!!! i have little patience, and little talent/expertise at sewing, so i guess that is to be expected. but i still have a rather large pile of clothes i am going to try and alter, so i guess we will see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the club, honey :-) But at least the weather is something you can relate to!

      I actually hate alterations. They're super hard - a whole other skill than sewing from scratch. So don't beat yourself up. I think it takes years to know how to alter well.

      Delete
  12. ok, sorry for babbling ON AND ON, but years ago i took an art class and the instructor had wise words for me. he said, "you know what your problem is? you are afraid to make mistakes. you hold back. you are too timid." he was right. it sucks making mistakes, but whaddya gonna do -- that is how most of us learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so true! When you can't bring yourself to make a mistake, you can't truly learn something new.

      Delete
  13. Oh, throw me in that briar patch - er, swimming pool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your mash-up posts. They are signs of a curious mind and an engaged life. And I am in awe that you are so willing to just jump right in even if you make mistakes, see above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely am curious and engaged. But also a little stupid in the jumping in category :-)

    ReplyDelete