Saturday, March 3, 2012

Seams Endless

I've been working on this fucking dress for 2 weeks now and I'm ready to be finished. Thanks to your feedback, I did revise the way I'm applying the seam binding - doing it in two steps. It's created a much neater finish in the skirt (to show up the relative horror of the bodice seam edges). Alas, everything is vaguely wavy - I'm sure because I'm applying a woven tape to a stable knit. Whatever. You live, you learn.

I've come to the conclusion that I could have serged every seam on the damn dress neatly and in 5 minutes. Instead, I've spent hours taping up all the raw edges.

No, serging is not a retro-technique, but it's better than a mediocre vintage finish.

On the plus side, it seems to look quite nice from the outside. Here's hoping it's all done tomorrow because I've got to move onto the cerise, bias-cut Ginger skirt with boned waist. Part of me is afraid to take on another "new technique" so soon after this one. But I have to be open-minded. Each project is its own experience. And every new method is its own adventure.

12 comments:

  1. You are going to love that dress. I've made the pattern twice, the first wasn't all that bad. I lengthened the bodice to find in the end that I should have left it as it was. The second was much, much better. Of course I went for the quicky method of serging all seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faye - I have made it once before (with long sleeves, not the sleeveless version I'm making now). I do love the pattern. With my short waist, I don't even have to lengthen the bodice. And I have actually put it together properly this time - not with exposed wrong-side seams at the shoulder like I did the last time.

      But the seam binding is turning a good garment into a time suck.

      Delete
  2. Your willingness to take on new stuff, over and over, is so damned impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what gets into me. I'm just so intrigued to see if I can do it.

      Delete
  3. Good grief. I've made that dress with the bias cowl bodice top 4 times because I just love it so much. I don't get seam binding- my sewing mantra is "reduce bulk". If it looks good on the outside, woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae - I do love it also and will make it again, I'm sure. You are entirely correct about reducing bulk. I knew I was potentially adding bulk as I tried this technique. Nonetheless, I was curious!

      Delete
  4. Yes I've gone back to zig zag (I don't have a serger) after trying to be fancy with binding seams. It didn't help that I only had a 1cm seam allowance to work with and I now realise the technique probably only works with a 1.5cm seam allowance as there's not much room to work with otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, one day you'll get a serger and you'll wonder how you will ever do a project without it again. And then, after a zillion serged seams, you'll start to wonder about the gorgeous interiors of fellow bloggers vintage inspired garments. And then you'll do some experimentation which will, hopefully, be more inspirational than this experiment has been :-) Till then, zig zag away!

      Delete
  5. You're a glutton for punishment...in the nicest possible way. I'm sure it will be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds daunting, but I love how willing you are to try the unknown. Forge ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to look back on my posts that speak about the sewing miseries I'm experiencing - esp. when the finished product works out. Not so much when it doesn't :-)

      Delete