Sunday, January 1, 2012

Slippery

OK, Sherry would like you to know that she loves cutting out lace as it inspires her to sew things up right afterwards. For my money, this activity was a seriously brain-hurting and tedious couple of hours. And I still don't know if things are going to line up. But somehow, at this point, I find it hard to care.

For starters, I did use up a yard of lace, scalloped on both sides. I bought a yard and a half, so all is well, but I had a couple of cutting mishaps on the (scallop lace-intensive) back piece. I feel terrible that I'll have no use for the scallop-free 60" width of this. Anyone have any ideas about what one can do with it after the fact??

Ooh, pink and pretty! (I seem to be on a "pretty" kick lately.) Remember, I did my own version of the FBA on this fabric.

Here's a shot of the creative process in action :-) It took me longer than I'd like to admit to piece the bodice together.

And here's a shot of the front skirt on the bias! I don't think I've ever cut on the bias before. It was seriously fussy. Kind of like the lace!

Here's my theory about this project: The bulk of the travail is in the cutting. (BTW, I really hope that theory is right because I want the hard part to be over!)

What I mean is, yes, the bias sewing might take some tweaking i.e. basting first and hanging for a couple of days to see what curls, and how. But, in truth, it's sewing a couple of seams and finishing them. The lace may be fussy to work with, but let's remember I've made many bras (no, none that actually fit, whatever), but their construction has taught me some skills I hope will be useful in the sewing phase of this project.

Pretty well every project I undertake is aspirational. At some point, I become sucked in by the potential that the finished garment might just be the most gorgeous, well-fitted, perfectly constructed thing that's ever been sewn. Often, my hopes are dashed when the final stitch is sewn. Sometimes, I am very happy with the finished result. I generally have to choose between excellent construction, perfect fit and gorgeousness. For some reason, that trifecta seems to elude me. :-)

But man, I can't tell you how I hope that this thing will work well. It borders on the lingerie that I haven't yet perfected. How awesome would it be to figure out an FBA the likes of which means that an actual undergarment (albeit not a bra) will fit? I wear slips. I love slips. I want to make my own excellent slip!

Give me your good vibes, ok? (No pressure.)

10 comments:

  1. Sending good vibes your way! I have cut and sew the skirt and cut the lace pieces. Not yet sewn them though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will send you good vibes, because so far it's looking beautiful! I love the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, as you know, actual sewing is the least of it. Keep on being aspirational, it's the only way to achieve your dreams, I'll be along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Suzy! I'm sure yours is going to be gorgeous.

    Gail: Thank you! It's a really beautiful shade of pink. Not too childlike. The "sexy" shade of pink.

    Mardel: Alas, I know it all too well :-) I have aspiration tattooed in my brain chemistry (one of the good things my brain likes to do!) so, except for those moments of despair, I'll keep on enthusiastically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If at first you don't succeed.... try, try again. That seems to be the pattern of sewing. We aspire and try and evaluate and try again and with time conquer - and that's fun. The slip will be gorgeous and so will your next one and the next and the next and - eventually - you'll even figure out that bra.

    Have a fabulous 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be so pretty . . . and it might even be the one that fits! If not, you'll have learned tons and you're having fun thinking (and swearing, I know!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myrna: I will figure out that bra. I'm waiting for the right confluence of things. And I've pinned everything to my dressform and it's looking pretty good so far. Keep fingers crossed xoxo

    F: It might be. Or I can make up new swear words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending good vibes your way!! I think you could use the unscalloped lace to make some insets for other slips or garments. I used to have a blouse that I loved that had lace sleeves...of course it also had a lacy overlay of the solid fabric on the bodice too, assuming you are interested in that idea you may need to pick up another 1/4 or 1/2 yard. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm far behind, and am hoping this comes out as you want it to. It is going to be lovely, and I can't wait to read on . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. CGC: Merci! I suppose you are right but I can't even imagine a world where I use lace sleeves :-)

    E: So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete