Sunday, June 19, 2011

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

Remember how I said I should make a couple more Senchas and a pair of my TNT pants, though not in denim (BTW, I actually rotate 3 of those TNTs in denim, not 2 - as I originally stated in that post. I forgot about one pair, proving the point that I need to make something that maintains the line but doesn't look more or less the same as the others).

Well, a couple of days ago I found this silk in the garment district:

$15.00 a yard - very reasonable for silk of its quality, IMO

It will do the Sencha justice though, having never sewn with silk, I'm understandably apprehensive. (Note: for those of you asking about my pin tuck adjustment to remove fullness from the waist area of the Sencha, here's the post outlining my process.)

Just thought of a potential challenge (inasmuch as I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel on this project, simply to gussy up the fabric choices): In the past I have used fusible interfacing to stabilize the button facing. Can't do that here. I guess I'm going to have to underline the facing for more stability. Anyone have any idea of what fabric to use - fashion fabric, organza? (or how to do sew it up with a finished edge)? I'm heading over to Tasia's underlining post, but I don't know if I can use it to help me with this little piece of a larger garment.

I also bought a beautiful silk in taupe (matte one side, satin on the other) but I can't find the photo I just took of it?! Oh well, you'll have to enjoy this one twice as much!

I've had the proposed pants fabric in my stash since I purchased it from my fab RTW designer and store-owner acquaintance (it was overage). It's got the tiniest bit of stretch and it drapes beautifully:

So, there you go. I'm about to take the beautiful/fancy-fabric plunge with tested designs. OMG, why don't you do this too?! Let's do fancy fabric sewing together! Choose a pattern you love and make it again in the nicest fabric you can afford / bring yourself to cut up. Let me know if you're game and then I want to hear all about it!

8 comments:

  1. In NYC 2 weeks ago, I spent $75 on fabric for a dress. I should sew it up...

    Good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, have fun! The gauzy tunic I just finished was actually one of the more expensive items I've stitched up yet... somehow white gauze and voile don't often make it to the clearance rack. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The silk is going to look great in that pattern.

    Whatever happened with the T shirts you made for your husband?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I would love to participate, but I'm still currently working on my TNT patterns. I have relatively few of those so I'm trying to build my library.

    It does sound like fun though -- if you do more than one go-round, I'd be interested. I have some silk that my FIL brought back from Thailand (gulp)....guess I'll have to tackle it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog yesterday. Your kind words of encouragement mean the world to me. I look forward to sharing vintage with you for years to come!

    I've used fusible interfacing on silk, but if you don't want to, organza should work just fine. Can't wait to see the finished garment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the idea of organza - if you pre-wash the organza it should have a softer drape more like the silk. My other suggestion would be to use charmeuse (if it is silk charmeuse you are using) or self line the facings.

    A few months ago I spent $75 on a quantity of silk and lace (to make lingerie) that literally fit in my purse. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sewn: Now you're talking!

    Taran: Why is that?!? :-)

    Susan: Thanks for asking about the T. It needs a bit of tweaking in the arms, but other than that it's terrific! One of my better first efforts, amazingly.

    LSCG: It's not a challenge with any time limits so you keep on with the TNTs and then apply the great fabric to one of them!

    Couture: I"m so sorry that I don't comment more often. Time has been very spare lately - and may actually become more so in the near future. But I always love your posts... I'm going to try the self fabric for starters. Wish me luck!

    Clio: That's just what I'm going to do, use the charmeuse as interfacing too! And I totally hear you on the lingerie fabric. It's amazing how much you can spend on something that fits into a ziploc sandwich bag.

    Wendy: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete