Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fairy Tales

Let me tell you an intriguing story.

Once upon a time there was a professional woman / mother / blogger / sewist / knitter. This woman loved all of her many pursuits purely, and with conviction.

One winter, she was called to interview for a new job - an interesting one. Given the parameters and conventions of her industry, she worked for many hours to prepare. She studied the role, queried the experts. She attended a panel interview. She answered scary questions. She completed an assignment.

She was not called to shortlist.

While that wasn't a thrilling outcome, soon the spring came along and, like buds on the trees, so did new opportunity arrive. In a creative twist, the woman was offered the chance to compete for a new position, having the same title, meeting with the very same panel, alors, even in the very same room. Naturally, there were key differences between the two experiences but, in the main, there was a sense of deja vu.

The woman was not exactly confident in the process or the outcome. But she tried again because her parents (and folklore) instilled in her the belief that first success is not a requirement. Also, she's nervy.

Delightfully, she was offered the second role, one which entails even more exciting features than she originally imagined, one which she accepted, not without consideration. And everyone is hopeful that she will excel and live happily ever after.

Spoiler Alert: The woman is me.

I tell this tale to alert you to my new circumstances, and to advise you that I really have no idea of how I'm going to be able to manage a (likely intense) new job, parenting a tween, being married to a guy who's frankly fed up with my obsessive crafting, obsessively crafting - and blogging.

There are few things I love more than writing, than communicating with a community of like-minded souls. But it is possible that I'm going to need to prioritize other things over this blog for the next while because there's a razor-fine edge between what makes you what you are and what keeps you from what you need to become.

All this is to say nothing. I am not making a dramatic exit from the blog world. This blog is as much a facet of me as any other part of my identity. Damn straight, I'm not going to chop it off. Alas, I may be brief, or even absent, for a while. (Then again, you know me, it'll probably be business as usual. You know how I love to fuck with expectation and get all creative at the strangest times.)

Please stick around as we have many exciting adventures ahead. And thank you so much for your patience. xo

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo, congratulations!! Good for you for giving it another try. I hope the new job brings you many exciting challenges, and I hope you're still able to carve out a little time for blogging on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is so awesome that you found a job that thrills you. :-) Hopefully you'll be able to strike a balance soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Don't feel pressure to blog. We'll be patiently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow a job - congratulations. The adventure continues and of course you'll have time to do all the things you wanna do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new position, K.Line, and Happy Canada Day!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah... balance. So necessary. So difficult to achieve. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new job, K! You know we're happy to hear from you when you have time, but I know exactly what you mean about the choices that have to be made. Those hours (for blogging, for sewing, for knitting) have to come from somewhere . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is fantastic news! congrats!! I will miss your regular blogging, but it sounds like you have a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! And it sounds like you are walking the razor's edge with confidence and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you and Good luck! I am sure you will get your bearings and continue to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, hanging in there and trying again. CONGRATULATIONS!

    My sweetie is also fed up with what we call social media time. I've had to cut back, and needed to anyway, for ergonomic reasons, but there's also the question of priorities.

    It's fun and extremely helpful to connect with like minded souls, but in real life, we live with the souls we live with, and they need attention :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! I hope M's hair turned out okay?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the position! (and I know exactly what you mean about husbands and their lack of understanding about our perfectly sensible pasttimes!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best wishes for your new job. I hope you get settled in quickly so you can keep blogging. I really enjoy your take on sewing, knitting and life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Argh! I am dying to know all the details of this new job! Hopefully, we can meet up next time M. and I are in TO!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big congrats on the new job! I hope it goes really well for you and doesn't overtake your life/love/craft/tween/blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I wish you every success!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So excited for you!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone: Thank you so much for your lovely well-wishes! I'm just getting settled in my new role but, so far so good :-)

    ReplyDelete