Thursday, February 17, 2011

Architecture

The city is oppressively grand. Buildings tower over tiny people. Gargoyles poke out from parapets. Austerity and amplitude compete with slivers of sky. Ages of architecture cohabit on lofty and crumbling avenues alike. And so much of it is iconic. Whether you've been mesmerized by the holiday tree at Rockefeller Center, pulled up to Carnegie Hall in a yellow cab, peered through the wrought iron of the gated Gramercy Park... whether your memory of NY is from 1940s movies or Sex and the City, everything seems oddly familiar and still larger than life.



4 comments:

  1. Ah, it's time for me to get back to New York. I've only been once and that was over 20 years ago. It's so true what you say about the iconic buildings everywhere, that sense of moving through a memory. Wonderful photos, evocative words, thank you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that NYC still knocks socks off. Having grown up mostly on Long Island, an hour or so train ride distance from NYC, I spent a lot of time in the city and visited quite a bit while my kids were young. I never got tired of that feeling of being encircled by tall buildings everywhere. It's a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Somehow, it reminds me of that Ab Fab episode when Pats and Eddy flew to NYC just to find a doorhandle for Eddy's flat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. F: You must go! On your way back from Europe the next time!

    Susan: I was born in Queens and lived in LI for a while as a young child - in Huntington. Where did you live?

    S: Gotta see if I can find that on Netflix! I need to watch something fun right now.

    ReplyDelete