Thursday, December 2, 2010

Quick Update

So peeps, trying hard to type this lying on my back with legs up the wall. Got back from doc's today - news isn't exactly what I was hoping for. In brief: She thinks the first xray may have missed a fracture (I disagree, but then I have a vested interest in disagreeing. I choose to believe that my foot was strong and healthy, bone-wise, when this accident occurred and that that has prevented a break). She said it was the worst sprain she's ever seen (if in fact, it is a sprain) and she's sending me back to the hospital for more tests. On a rush basis. Tomorrow morning. I also had to get the air cast but not so that I can use it. No, I'm only allowed to lie with my leg elevated higher than my chest doing weird massage things to it and alternating ice and heat.

I'm trying very hard to focus on the positives - of which there are many - but I can't believe I may be immobile for much longer. I'm not allowed to go back to work (though I am working full days from home) till at least the 13th. This foot hurts quite a bit. It's almost Xmas. I'm lonely for face-to-face interaction. I'm worried about gaining weight - though I'm trying to be quite careful about how much I eat. I'm worried about atrophy of other muscles and asymmetry.

I know many people live through far more injury with much more grace. I realize that, in my moment of inattention, I could just has likely have hit my head or broken my knee. Or my arm - which would totally have precluded work and blogging and so many other things.

At any rate, that's all the news that's fit to print today.

13 comments:

  1. I think what's disheartening is when things get worse although you expect them to get better. And not knowing when they'll get better. You're justified feeling a little blue. I hope the news are good in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you permission to sulk and feel sorry for yourself for a reasonable length of time.

    Always looking on the bright side is exhausting.

    And thinking "It could be much worse" has never made me feel an iota better during my worst health problems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh - i'm so sorry that you're dealing with this during xmas season! sending you lots of good wishes and hope your foot heals soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so hoping you'd be headed toward the mend, as I'm sure you were. Please keep us posted as to what's going on with it - it looks really like a nasty injury, and painful, too. Take it easy, and I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear this -- you are absolutely justified in feeling discouraged and disgruntled and dismayed. I'm wishing you some good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that's not exactly the greatest news but hopefully will get you on the right track, treatment-wise. Best wishes, hun. I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it sounds like you are being very good and following the Drs. orders by staying off of it. PLEASE continue to do so. I hurt my foot well over 8 to 10 years ago and it still SWELLS and causes discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's perfectly ok to be upset about your condition. It totally stinks! Your life is thrown off, you don't feel normal, and right at the holidays. You're in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god, K, I had no idea. I've been completely disconnected from the blogging world and I am very behind.

    I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you.

    Feel what you have to feel and apologize to no one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Posted here because my computer is on the fritz and it's convoluted to get to email. You'll appreciated December 2nd's posting on:

    http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I'm so sorry this is turning into a nightmare. You have my sympathy. If I weren't so far away I would offer to bring some soup for you and your family. Well, I am sending warm thoughts and wishes for better news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NO!!!! I am so sorry. Bad news gets worse!:-( No need to focus on the positive or on your weight. You will be up soon and back to your regular routine. Please feel free to moan and groan. If i was in your cast I would be be moaning plenty about this. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uta: Thank you! I'm on a bit of a roller coaster, that's for sure.

    Wendy: It is SO true. I'm down with being up - or up with being down. Whatevs.

    Sophie: Thank you!

    Sara: I'm improving every day. Thanks again for your helpful feedback to me.

    mater: xo

    Heather: Thank you! Just keep me posted on the Doreen bra when it arrives.

    Faye: This advice is so good - and so hard to take! Thank you.

    Sewn: Thank you!

    Myrna: I totally need to check that out. Like now...

    Susan: I would totally take you up on that soup! Thank you.

    Bel: Oh, you know I like to moan. My sewing is proof of that! Thank youxo

    ReplyDelete