Monday, December 6, 2010

A Booboo by Any Other Name...

As you know, but now reports can confirm, I have some things going on with my foot - namely a small break resulting from a rather severe (grade 3) sprain. That means my torn tendon and ligament actually caused a hairline fracture of my bone. Who knew that soft tissue rules??

Today I started physio therapy. My therapist, on hearing my story, seeing my test results and listening to my story was amazed at the state of my foot, ankle and leg. Don't mean to brag (or maybe I do, whatevs) but she said that "whatever I have done for the last 2 weeks" (i.e. yoga and yoga and elevation and ice and yoga and compression and 3000 mg of vit c and yoga) has resulted in tremendous healing over a very short period. Something tells me she's never broken part of her foot or she wouldn't say that 12 days is a "short period".

Perhaps I should hide this element of my personality (is that possible?) but I LOVE to excel. Give me a test and will problem solve till the bell rings. No mind if I haven't the vaguest idea of what's going on. Somehow, that doesn't seem to bother me.

I'm a strange sort of competitive - as I compete only with myself (and rich people I haven't managed to outpace :-)). I go into an enjoyable, almost meditative state when I decide I need to figure something out. And then I do whatever I can to achieve the goal.

Really I'm so thrilled that my yoga practice has worked to benefit my healing. Of course, I trust yoga - I've been espousing it for injuries I've never experienced lo these many years. But to experiment, so-far successfully on myself is a great gift.

My therapist has prescribed some exercises that I will do. Then I will repeat those actions in increasingly-weight bearing yoga poses, as my healing warrants. I was thrilled to learn that it is highly unlikely that I will intensify this injury with conscious movement, supported by rest and frequent elevation. I am so happy that my intuition was on the mark. Inflammation is my guide in the healing process, as well as discomfort. If I can act without too much (i.e. "bad") pain and that movement doesn't increase swelling, then I can proceed.

I suggested coming in 5 times a week but, alas, Ms. Physio said it would do nothing to expedite the process (there we are with those "ped" words again). Apparently, 2 sessions a week for the next 6 weeks (approximately), for ultrasound, review and manipulative therapy, will suffice.

Of course, when I asked how long it would be till I'll be sort of mobile again / quite mobile again / totally back to normal again, I got all kinds of answers I don't agree with. I won't put those yucky numbers into your minds.

I am grateful for this opportunity to learn about my body. I am hopeful for a swift, and complete, recovery. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

11 comments:

  1. I know that flavor of competitive you describe. I have that too. I am so happy to hear that your practice is benefitting you in your healing. That is great news. I join you in your hopes.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Bel - I totally get the self-competition. So glad that your practices have sped the healing, and crossed fingers for continued healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping you'll be back in your good shoes in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good to hear, that your healing work is working.

    I must say I relate to what you say about being competitive. I have been that way all of my life -- I think I recognized this in you and related to it immediately when I started reading your blog.

    I want to make a change now though, at 52. Going into 2011 I want to see if I can avoid turning everything I do into some kind of competition. It sucks up all available time and pulls me away from giving time to loved ones, tending to the house, exercise, healthy eating, and so on. I talked to La Belette Rouge about this when she was here -- she gave me some free therapy input :-). Apparently, even though my Dad is dead and I keep Mom at a distance, I'm still trying to prove my worth to them by over achieving at everything, even when it doesn't make sense any more.

    I wouldn't give up the excelling I did when younger. It was fun and I accomplished a lot. I just don't want to be addicted to being that way as I age.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bel and Sal: It's nice to know I'm in good company!

    Wendy: I'll settle for runners for a while :-) (OK, probably not for that long but you know what I mean...)

    Susan: I think that's an excellent goal - you should work at it compulsively until you win! :-) No, seriously, I am trying to tone down all the competitive also. It doesn't help in the long run. It's perfectionism's even less attractive relative! It leads to such an all or nothing attitude. I am wishing us both a little bit of competition-free time in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean - I like to excel at everything, too! Here's to a speedy recovery and being back to normal as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahhaha! me too. xxooxx (So many ways this is not okay but still, it is who we are!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tasia!

    Lisa: Gotta be real, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that flavor of competitiveness as I share it. (surprised? I think not).

    I had to read ahead from the beginning of the month to see what they said, now that I know, and know you are determined, I'll go backwards again.

    Don't you love nonsensical comments?

    ReplyDelete