Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Yabba Dabba Doo

I feel like someone's about to scream "Wilma!" while I'm wearing this top, which isn't to say I don't like it :-):


I still have to apply the button and thread chain...
This is strangely wrinkly in the pic, though not in real life. How does that happen?
OK, you know it's on the dress form, which had a different body than mine, but with the 10" zip I can actually get it over the immoveable shoulders of this thing. All in all, I support the longer zip, which sits well on the side seam as long as it's interfaced (I used organza).

Dare I say it looks better on me? (At which point you might malign me for not having the decency to show a pic. Note: I hope to wear it tomorrow and, if I do, I'll get Scott to snap it on my way out the door...)

My alterations worked very well, all things considered. I did have a small challenge with the angle and height of the back shoulder, but it was easy to cut down in the correct way (fortunately I'd cut the fabric too big). This is likely my pattern alteration error though, in truth, I looked many times at the original pattern and can't see where I went wrong. It's weird.

I could probably take a bit more length out of the lower back (but then it might start to screw with the front length) and I could probably change the positioning of the shoulder seam by putting a bit more on the front and taking a bit off the back (to adjust for computer-shoulders).

But it's extremely wearable. One might even say it fits well.

And we wonder why ladies can't make (much less buy) clothing that fits beautifully.

People - I'm wearing 3 graded sizes in this one simple shell. Plus, I've screwed with front length above the breasts. And back length below the waist. That's crazy complicated, relatively speaking, and this thing doesn't even have sleeves.

Note: Next up, I'll post about my secret alteration technique. Yeah, it's hardly secret and just about as much technique, but I have to keep you guessing!

Some things about the fabric: I'm starting to wonder if it's really silk. It's definitely not charmeuse because it's matte on both sides. While it was silk-like challenging to stitch, it feels a bit stiff to me. Maybe it's china silk? Thing is, it's not sheer. I should burn some of it and see what happens...

It did all the regular silk things: got easily pin-marked, required a shorter stitch with less pressure on the presser foot and it benefitted from sewing with a sharp. But it wasn't quite as slippery as charmeuse. Are there silk-synthetic blends, I wonder?

Some (more) things about the pattern: I still haven't used the instructions so I haven't got any more for you on that, but I can say unreservedly that this pattern is FABULOUS. At least my altered, unlined version is, IMO :-) I would recommend its purchase if you are of the general shape that (I suspect) it flatters: buxom(ish), not long in the waist and not full in the high-hip / derriere.

Let's talk about pepulms for a moment, yes? They're not the most flattering look out there. Very "trendy", kind of dated (if you lived through the 80s). And they really don't work well on lots of shapes which are otherwise gorgeous. In the same way that I will never be able to incorporate the strapless dress into my wardrobe (tiny sob), I suggest that women who are "pear shaped" (and I do know that this is more-or-less a meaningless term in light of the complexity of body-shapes) proceed with caution.

I'd recommend that you stay away from this pattern (and peplums in general) if you are not very experienced in sewing for your shape AND:
  • You have a shelf-like high hip
  • You have a prominent, high or wide derriere
  • You have proportionately thick upper legs
  • You have a long, proportionately thick, waist
  • You have relatively small breasts compared to relatively wide hips/derriere
I have fairly slim legs and proportionate hips and bum and I still feel kind of wide in that area while wearing this top. The thing it has going for me is that the full peplum really balances my bust. So take that under advisement and, ladies of the "pear-shaped" ilk, please speak up if you think I'm wrong!

If you can believe it, tonight I'm going to rip apart muslin 1 (bias tape and all), save the peplum and attempt to cut down the bodice to the dimensions of muslin 2. I'm usually not inclined to revisit the past, but I really love the drape and fabric of that muslin and there's no size increasing required. Worst case scenario, I have enough of the fabric to make a new bodice.

22 comments:

  1. I don't think that looks Wilma-ish at all! It's actually quite lovely. Can't wait to see it on you...and I'm in awe of how you switch back and forth between knitting and sewing. Just in awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! The switching may be more about ADHD than skill :-)

      Delete
  2. I've seen silk/poly blends (though why anyone would want that is beyond me--seems like it would ruin the lovely silk properties), and the fabric sounds like crepe de chine (which is a fabric I fought with once and am forever going to be leery of).

    I think we need to see this fabulousity on you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, crepe de chine it is! Went to take pic this am on my way out the door and the freakin' camera battery died. Took cell phone shot but it might be too crappy to use...

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely. I didn't see the Wilma until you mentioned it, but her dress was a solid white, no?

    Peplums kind of scare me. I think it would take a little practice to train my eye that it was okay. I can see how it would balance out your bust well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, there's just something cartoonish and retro about this fabric that reminds me of her.

      Peplums kind of scare me too. I'm not sure if I like them, but I think I do.

      Delete
  4. I like it! Despite my own giant bum and boobs, I don't mind a peplum top - I just have to be careful about the waist height, and the length/foofiness of the peplum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and thanks for your perspective on the peplum. I do think waist height is key!

      Delete
  5. I think it's adorable and it really didn't scream animal print to me; maybe it's my vision...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's more Flintstones than animal print, somehow.

      Delete
  6. I totally agree about peplums not suiting pears (ie me). Reluctantly, since I think they're a cute trend. But a trend I won't be following.
    I think this is so pretty. Well done on your alterations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - that's totally like saying Myrna do NOT sew this. Too funny. I love the look of peplums. I've worn them in the past. Knowing me, I'll most likely give it a try right about when it's no longer a trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that you'll find some crazy way to alter the bejesus out of it so that it fits excellently!

      Delete
  8. Love this print! And I love peplums too. They're a never is the next new thing item, so you might as well give in sooner rather than later! Now you just need my "Wilma" necklace to go with this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I better just get on board with that philosophy. Oooh, off to check out the Wilma necklace :-)

      Delete
  9. I'll have to see a picture with you wearing it, but I think the peplum looks flattering enough on the dressform? I also like peplums but have yet to make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make one Janice! I think they'd suit you.

      Delete
  10. Lovely top! It's a bold fabric choice that works! LOL about the Flinstones reference!

    ReplyDelete