Thursday, April 16, 2015

Curio (Potions for Skeptics): Soft Launch

So, I do intend to show off my new skin care line (I find this concept hilarious) with a fun post or 10 (don't worry - this is not going to turn into a Kristin Sells Potions blog) but I've received a few emails inquiring about what might be available and when.

In the interests of, well, sparking interest - here's a list of my preliminary offerings:
  • Lip Balm to rival Burt's Bees (And organic)
  • Serum (Beautifully hydrating but in NO way greasy)
  • Hand / Body Lotion (It's got excellent glide - not slippery but not too thick...)
  • Hydrosol - Neroli (It works perfectly with the Serum... I source this because I'm not equipped to make it, currently.)
  • Deodorant (This is like the crack cocaine of my skin care products. All of my friend and family testers want a container, and then another. It's not crunchy-granola - I can't abide that. And it works shockingly well.)
  • Roll On Perfume (I can customize this. But I love my beautiful Cedar and Ylang Ylang version.)
  • Arnica Salve (Awesome for muscle pain. Smells great.)
  • Calendula Salve - (Awesome for booboos. Smells even better.)
  • Immortelle Salve (Awesome for softening scar tissue and rheumatic pain. Also appreciated for its "youthening" properties. Note: I'm not here to convince you that well-made, natural skin care will make you look 10 years younger. It will make you look better and the beautiful scents will improve your mood. Essential oil therapy is notably entrenched in my lifestyle and has been since I was a child. I use it in many ways but it is never more valuable to me than in its ability to transform my state of mind. FWIW, scent blending is my my most intuitive art.)
  • Body Oil – Ylang Ylang / Grapefruit (A floral citrus, blend that brings out the best of both.)
  • Body Oil – Neroli / Rosewood (A deep floral with a chypre subnote.)
  • Eye Serum A (The original is very popular but I'm not quite satisfied quite yet. This is in the works and should be ready in the near future.)
I promise to take attractive photos of each (highlighting tasteful labels) and providing details about the organic ingredients and their reputed benefits. This is in the works - if only because I find these products so lovely that I have to capture them as part of the journal of my life and creative pursuits. FYI, I use them all - all the time - and I wouldn't bother if I could buy stuff that I considered to be better. Y'all know that's how I roll.

Having said this, if you're interested to try anything between now and who can say exactly when, feel free to email. I can regale you with the narratives which underpin each product and (slightly more mundanely) with info about cost and shipping, which I do not mark up, as you know. Moreover, my interim pricing will be discounted by 10 %, per product, as I iron out the kinks in the process and refine the brand to suit my own strict specifications.

As they say, if you're interested, holla. This stuff truly is gorgeous. I hope to wrangle a few long-standing bloggers into trying it and posting (absolutely honest) reviews. And, if you're interested in participating in that way, let me know.

24 comments:

  1. I"m so fascinated that you find scent-blending intuitive, because I've never thought about it or tried it, and I wouldn't know where to start!
    And fyi, I'm very happily do a review post or video on what you sent me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well you know I"m going to hit you up :-) Will send you some more stuff to try in the next little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm great at really low-quality videos too! ;) (What a sale pitch, Gillian!)

      Delete
    2. You are great at videos! I always watch the whole thing. And I have no attention span for video.

      Delete
  3. I'd be very interested to try some of your stuff! In particular the lip balm, deodorant, eye serum and immortelle salve! I know I haven't commented before, but I've been reading your blog for a while and have found your skin care product making very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey tea: Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss the products in more detail. K

      Delete
  4. Ohhh... how exciting! I'm very interested in these products, but just haven't taken the next step to actually make some myself. Your high standards are well-documented, so I trust that your potions are great quality. I look forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L. Let me know if you're looking for any specific type of recipe and I might be able to point you in the direction of something I've tried and like. I'm really committed to the quality of the things I'm making. I want it to be beautiful, minimal, elegant, natural and healing.

      Delete
  5. This is exciting, Kristin! And what an fun adventure for you. I love serums and I agree, beautiful scents do improve my mood. I have a thing for rose scents and briefly tried to distill my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Oh, fascinating - did you write about it? I'd love to try that.

      Delete
  6. I'm very interested in the deodorant, the body oil, probably neroli, the immortelle salve, the lip balm, possibly the eye serum (worried about itching), maybe the face serum (not sure what it does, now using very expensive c e ferulic ), maybe the hydrosol (not familiar with those).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey M - email me and I can answer any questions you might have. Also, I found an interesting kit on LotionCrafter that looks like it's a pretty faithful homage to your c e ferulic. I can tell you more about the composition of my serum. I've not tried the c e ferulic, but I can give you info about mine that might help you decide if it's worth trying.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'll email you. I've known about the Lotioncrafter's kit for a while, having read about it on essentialdayspa, but the kit makes about 7 oz, and I gather that it's not possible to make the stuff in smaller quantities. I can't even use a 1-oz bottle before it oxidizes. I've wished that the companies would sell smaller bottles. I know a few people who might want to use it, so I could give some away, but I would really need 7-14 people for it to make sense. I wish you'd add it to your line! It's the only product I've tried that is truly magic.

      Delete
    3. Don't get me wrong - I'm curious! Alas, my line is about my own inventions. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a product I didn't devise. You could totally strike a deal with your friends though. And let me know if you do - I could be one of them :-)

      Delete
  7. I should ask if you will be shipping to the US...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! A potion-making chef-d'oeuvre! Have ingredients; they will come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! Here's hoping that's how it goes - cuz this is too fun to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try your products! Have to wait until next payday though. Oh, being in your mid 20s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um - sometimes even those of us in our 40s need to wait till next payday :-)

      Delete
  11. Yes, K -- I'm in -- Looking forward to your launch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I'm a new follower and very much interested in your potions posts. I won't be placing any orders, because I live in Germany and would have to pay crazy amounts in customs in person at the customs office far from my home. However, I would purchase in a heartbeat a pdf recipe book-- hope that's something you might consider. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee: Hello in Germany! Are you sure that you would be charged customs? In Canada, sometimes we're charged but most of the time we're not. Especially if the package isn't of too high a value (under 100 dollars). I would love to do a book but I am SO occupied. I have no extra time right now. Mind you, I recommend two terrific books you can get online: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-facial-products-e-book-is-done.html (This blog is awesome - and much of the info is available for free on the blog, but you'll have to sift through many posts). The author's profits go to supporting her work with youth in the community and her knowledge is phenomenal. (Note: Many of the products are not "natural" but what she teaches, you can apply to natural ingredients.) The other e-book I love is: A DIY Guide to Therapeutic Body and Skin Care Recipes by Alynda Caroll. I bought it on Amazon. Hope this helps!

      Delete