Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tell Me You Don't Want Some Of This...

The life-cycle of Cashew/Turmeric/Ginger milk is pretty straight forward:

Not all of these ingredients are for this elixir - I've got the fixings for Chocolate/Vanilla Almond Milk laid out too...
You blend 190g of raw cashews, 4 dates, splash of vanilla, 1tsp fresh ginger and tbsp of turmeric powder. Make everything organic, while you're at it. I mean, you are doing this for the good of your health. And to freak people out when they see you sipping on this:

Yeah, I'm reusing all of those micro-batch juice bottles I accumulated paid a zillion bucks for in January. Well, I recycled at least half of them (if not more) because they were coming out of my ears, but I kept enough to work with...
Honestly, this photo doesn't do the colour justice. It's like canary meets neon.

And since I had some left over, and I've heard this stuff is good hot (though I didn't believe that the nut milk wouldn't separate), I gave it a go with some pepper:


Amazingly cashew milk doesn't appear to lose its integrity in any way, when heated. I didn't boil it, just brought to a hot simmer.

This is a very unusual beverage, to be sure. It's creamy and vaguely savoury, even as it's sweet. I can't describe it, except to say that it's delicious - in an entirely different way than chocolate nut milk is.

So whatcha think? Does it creep you out? Do you intend to give it a go? Let's talk!

7 comments:

  1. that sounds really good!
    I'm not really big on cashews and suspect that might too much cashew at once for me - do you think this mix would be similarly tasty with almond or walnut milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would totally work but you'd need to strain the mixture after with nut bag. So I'd use more turmeric as some of it will be lost to the pulp. BTW, I'm not big on cashews either but they don't taste like cashews once you blend them up, so I'd suggest giving a small batch a go. So much easier, and creamier, than almond milk.

      Delete
    2. if they don't taste like cashews I may just do that then, thanks!

      Delete
  2. it looks like creme brulee in a glass, so, yeah, GIMMIE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like creme brulee - and it's very creamy. But I'm not going to lie, creme brulee is slightly more delicious. :-)

      Delete
  3. It looks great to me. I almost never bring cashews into the house because my son is allergic, but I could make this for my other son, who is vegan and needs protein.

    Is that black pepper on the warm version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is black pepper - just to give it an extra kick and some warmth!

      Delete