Saturday, August 20, 2011

EuroLoot: Motorcycle Jacket in Fleece - Amsterdam

There's a striking difference between French and Dutch fashion, though both cultures are utterly stylish: The French dress to suit their sophisticated whims; the Dutch dress for the weather.

As a Canadian, I completely get that.

The first thing I did, on arriving in Amsterdam on a rainy, 13 degree C-Saturday afternoon, was to buy this jacket:



What with it being July 30, I didn't imagine it would come in that handy - but I wore it every day. Seriously, if I never wear this thing again, I got my money's worth.

Cool feature: It's brandless. There is no label on it anywhere. I think there must have been a name on the tag that came with it (long ago discarded), but now it almost feels handmade.

The workmanship is excellent. It's true to form, but for its fabric. I love the zippers and the length of the sleeves. It's very warm. This seems, to me, extremely Dutch - totally practical, excellently designed, subdued and (more or less) water-impermeable - but with a twist you can't see coming.

Here's a (not so awesome) shot of it in action:

15 comments:

  1. VERY cool. I love the detailing; that really sets it apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love diagonal zippers on jackets. Yours if beautiful. Very well made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. That's the way I dress too. First thing in the morning, I check the weather channel or website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a really cool jacket. I love the idea of a motorcycle jacket in high quality fleece. The back looks very interesting as well, with all the tailoring at the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! It really is excellently put together. I love tailoring in unsuspecting materials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how structured it is even though it's sweatshirt fleece, I don't know why that textile automatically leads one to boxy inspiration. The jacket is killer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great jacket (and well modelled!) My favourite winter coat is by a Dutch company, Creenstone, and your description of Amsterdam is really making me think I should go to the source to check it out. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I totally LOVE that! The cut reminds me of a Vogue Montana designer biker jacket, but that fabric is just gorgeous... Is it really fleece? It looks more like velour or velveteen from here...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is such a cool find! is it vintage? reminds me of a Margiela piece or something from Isabel Marant's line that would cost $800. it looks really well made and you look fab! i foresee this being your go-to chilly travel jacket from now on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also totally love this jacket. Now I totally want to knock it off. Hmm. It is jacket season again, isn't it?...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monkey: Isn't it?!

    LAP: It was you who posted about another motorcycle jacket this week, no?

    mater: I have to check out that brand. In person!

    Melissa: It really is fleece - although slightly distressed. And it is totally Montana! Why didn't that occur to me. Makes me love it even more.

    Miss S: I think it looks rather $$$ too - in truth, it was 120 euros - what's that, 200 bucks?

    T: You, of all people, will rip it off with no problems, and look terrific. Have at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's brandless. There is no brand on it anywhere. I think there must have been a name on the tag that came with it but now it almost seems hand crafted. Good work

    ReplyDelete