Monday, May 9, 2011

Timely

Remember this book, that started it all:

A Stitch in Time by Jane Waller & Susan Crawford

Well, thankfully it arrived (finally) today, as I sit at home with a sick and clingy kid, and it's all I could have hoped for.

Some of the patterns look outrageously complicated. But I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 I can manage (after I finish my current sweater).

Whether you knit or no, buy this book. It's just beautiful and it gives an amazing perspective on fashion and body philosophy of the '20s - '40s. Apparently, it's a painstaking reconstruction of a book (the manuscript and photos of which were) destroyed by fire.

4 comments:

  1. Sonds good. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

    Susan Khalje's Bridal Couture CD arrived -- it is full of luscious photos and tons of sewing tips/techniques. I think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gem of a book! I love the fact that the original patterns and images are there too.

    I know what you mean about some of the designs, they look so advanced but you'll find some that are easier. If you join the book official group "A stitch in time" on Ravelry you can get some invaluable advice from people who already worked on the patterns and also from the author and editors. I decided on my first projects after asking for advice on the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan: She's out in the garden now, lying on a chaise with sunglasses. If she weren't so green, I'd say it's not a bad way...

    Suzy - I'm off to sign up to that group! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you come up with, my dear!

    ReplyDelete