Friday, January 25, 2008

Let's Get Started, Shall We?

Who are you? How would I know you if our shopping bags lovingly tangled in a crowded boutique? Are you that eclectic person I've observed hopping out of a cab? Do you compel me, with your aura of stylishness, to ask you where you got that bag? Do you read Nylon? Are you beyond all that?

But while you remain a mystery (are you even out there?), I am a known commodity. I'm that somewhat small (sure as hell not tall), rather curvy (which is to say I have actual breasts), pixie-shorn (I'm going for gamine) fashion-fixated populist. Somewhere within me, a features editor melded with a stylist and a talkshow host is just bursting to have a little cyber walk-in closet of her own.

A few housekeeping details so you'll know, in broad strokes, where I'm coming from:

  • I'm an urban professional whose office culture, while generally bland, is open to expressions of (not inappropriate) sartorial creativity - at least that's what I tell myself...

  • I walk to work - I walk everywhere in my urban landscape - and I live in Canada. We are no strangers here to extremes in temperature and hideous weather.
  • In light of this, fortunately, I am a pragmatist.

  • I believe in mixing slim, well-tailored basics with luxe splurges i.e. the Club Monaco merino wool turtleneck with Genetic skinny-jeans.

  • My lingerie always matches and I spend the requisite fortune on beautiful pieces which actually support breasts.

  • I am a working mother with a mortgage, after all - 90% of the time I buy on sale, which is how I score beautiful things on a budget.

Needless to say I take the whole style thing very seriously, or I wouldn't be embarking on this new adventure. But I also feel that style is a whimsical expression of our inner selves, a small, significant way to bring art into our own lives and the lives of those with whom we interact every day.

Lovely to meet you. K

2 comments:

  1. I had to go back to the beginning. It is like opening a great book that you know you are going to love. I can't wait for the next chapter. Oh wait I don't have to there is another one waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete