Saturday, May 27, 2017

When Feeling Bad Is Good

So, I tried another experiment. I'd love to tell you it was calculated but, in truth, I saw macaroni and cheese and chocolate stout cake on a menu and I decided, fuck it. I was gonna eat all the sugar and processed grains and no one could stop me. When Scott tried to take a bite of the cake, I went after him with my fork (in case you're in any doubt of the addictive nature of these foods). I added insult to injury with a glass of wine. Oh, and I started the day with half an english muffin (something I've done only 3 times since January). Hmmm...

Oh Lord, people. I was so sick, so fast. And, almost 24 hours later, I'm still feeling mighty bad.

So, what happened?

Well, the first 30 minutes were a blur of utter bliss. Oh, I was high and so freakin' happy. I cannot explain how awesome I felt.

The next 30 minutes were a sad, sugar come-down. I started to feel a bit shaky. Given what I now know about blood sugar, I sense I went into a rebound low. I walked for about 30 minutes. By the time I got home I felt nausea - not surprising since I'd just eaten @ 1000 calories of sugar which I didn't bother to stabilize with anything like fiber or healthy fat or protein.

Then I got super miserable. I thought I might have to end it all as a result of the weather. Truly, I feel this way even with stable blood sugar, these days. It's been raining for weeks. A good day means it only rains half the time and it gets up to 15C. Even the people who don't mind rain are losing it. Those like me are in a perma-melancholic state. But it was particularly pronounced, this misery.

An hour later, I had to take a nap. I had a terrible headache. When I woke, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I didn't want to move but I knew I had to. When I stood up, I was dizzy and my bones/joints hurt terribly. In case I've been wondering whether my new lifestyle/diet has helped my pain, well, I've got my answer. The arthritis, as they call it, kicked in big time.*

Never mind specific symptoms - on a meta level, was so out of sorts, I didn't know what to do with myself. To calm myself, I picked up my needles. When I tried to knit, I noticed that my fingers were super-clumsy. I couldn't gain a rhythm. My body stiffened.

At that point, I ate just about the only thing that didn't make me want to throw up - a handmade coconut oil, cacao, almond butter cup (low in sugar, high in fat and protein) and I drank about 20 glasses of water. Later, I ate a salad for dinner and some pistachios. It took forever for the night to go by but eventually it was a reasonable time to go to sleep. When I woke this morning, my fingers were SO swollen it was crazy. Like old times. My stomach is still a mess.

Wow. I have gone off-road on a few occasions, of course. Usually that means an extra glass of wine or an extra tsp of maple syrup in my drinking chocolate. But I've really avoided the wheat flour to date - partly because there's nothing good about it - unless it's non-processed or from Italy -  and I don't actually miss it (not like I miss rice, for example - and even that I can avoid without difficulty). All that comes of eating it is having eaten it and likely wanting more (as it's in all the yummy things).

Will I do this again? Um, yeah. I'm pretty sure I'll forget how bad I'm currently feeling and the lure of cake will once again set in. But it's not going to happen soon, that's for sure. Also, next time I do it, I'm making the fucking cake cuz my baking is incomparable.

Till then, yours in austerity, K

*We can call it whatever but I'm pretty sure it's sugar and grain induced autoimmune response (aka systemic inflammation). Feel free to disagree, as no test can substantiate this. I'm telling you, I lived the result and I'm sure that's what it is.

11 comments:

  1. I find these experiments of yours (and writing about them afterward) so informative and helpful! I'm sure they are murder to live through (and I don't envy you the diet you're on) but it does help me to think more constructively about my own health and digestive issues (as well as autoimmune inflammatory response) and to formulate some ways to tackle them. I'm grateful for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't envy me this diet either! :-) So happy if this is useful to you in some way.

      Delete
  2. Well at least you have some data:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Can't complain. (And I got to eat cake.)

      Delete
  3. My body gets the exact same reaction to these foods. The clumsy finger feeling - you have described that perfectly. I think it gets easier to avoid them. The longer you go without, the easier it gets. Sugar is hard. But avoiding the wheat gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man - the swollen, clumsy fingers are the worst! Glad to know I'm not alone.

      Delete
  4. " 1000 calories of sugar which I didn't bother to stabilize with anything like fiber or fat or protein."
    Very high fat macaroni and cheese, lots of fat in cake, and who knows what type of fat is was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - I meant "good fat". You know, the omega 3s...

      Delete
  5. Nothing like a couple of days of feeling crappy to tell you how successful your new diet has been. You're your own control sample. Sorry you feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was almost glad (though not really, of course). I was glad to see an impact.

      Delete
  6. Sounds horrible! Let me know if you reconsider the lightning process. I know it helps people with food sensitivities.

    ReplyDelete