Saturday, September 10, 2016

(Anti)Inflammatory

As of my naturopath appointment today, I've had three medical opinions that corroborate each other: My pain condition is entirely concurrent with the presentation of spinal osteophytes and degeneration (which extend into my hips). Oh, and I'm "very young to be dealing with this degree of osteoarthritis". According to everyone in the know, this must have been in active development for many years.

I don't want you to think that I've ignored this issue. Yeah, I didn't do the one thing that might have got me to a diagnosis sooner (full X ray panel), but then I really didn't think - in a zillion years - that this could have been what's going on. Sure, I worried I might be dying or managing a terrible degenerative disease (yes, I know arthritis is a degenerative disease and that it can be terrible), but arthritis is much more boring - and mercifully treatable - than the kinds of things I imagined. I did visit the doctor many times, but apparently I didn't explain things in language she could understand until my symptomology had become quite pronounced. My early visits were punctuated by vagueness, due to no fault of my own.

I said, in my last post on this topic, that arthritis doesn't run in my family. Well, apparently, it's best not to gain these details from my mother because she only considers her family history when providing intel. You'll be happy to know that she was tested, after chemo and radiation, to confirm that her bone health hadn't been adversely affected by cancer treatment and she learned, at that time, that, at 66, she had "the spine of a 26 year old". I don't know how one gets that degree of detail about spinal age but she was very pleased to learn about this, braggy even. Yeah, I know, I'm all sour grapes, but c'mon. I really hope, given that she has high cholesterol and young bones, and I have normal cholesterol and old bones, that I'm genetically distinct enough to avoid that triple negative breast cancer I've got a 50-50 chance of getting. If it's a deal, I'll take it.

Since then, my mum and I have continued our conversation, wherein I have reminded her of my father's neck surgery (@15 years ago - he received a bit of metal to do the job of discs that had stopped working), and my paternal grandmother's hip replacements (x2) due to falls and breaks that removed her from her independence in the last years of her life. At that point my mother remembered that 2 of my 3 paternal uncles are in constant, intense back pain that severely compromises their mobility and quality of life. They're approaching 70 but it's been going on for years. Why no one thought to mention this sooner is beyond me. I mean, it's not like I haven't been in hideous discomfort, on and off, for many years now. And it's not like I suffer in silence?!?

Look, this is all good. This information has already improved the quality of my life substantively. For starters, I'm having my Vit. D levels tested (my gene presentation indicates I need more than the average person) so that I'll know how much I need to take to ensure that my bones can absorb calcium far better than they do now. I already supplement with Vit. D but it's likely I'm going to need to take a lot more.

My yoga traction wall has been pretty close to life-changing. Even though I'm absurdly busy, and mentally over tasked right now, by carving out 20 minutes a day for partial or full hanging, I can diminish pain from an 7 out of 10 to a 1 out of 10 - and that reprieve generally lasts 12 hours.

I've been shockingly pro-cruciferous veg. No, I don't like them any more than I did 2 weeks ago, but now I'm viewing them as medicine. Plus, in restaurants they tend to be quite tasty. Also, three words: homemade cheese sauce.

I continue on my low-inflammation path with the supplements I was taking before, plus some new ones. Also, I drink fresh-pressed turmeric and ginger shots like an elite athlete. My juice budget is out of control.

Moreover, surprising even to me, I haven't eaten a bag of chips or crappy carbs for a week and a half. Yeah, I'm still eating chocolate - and I've upped my pistachio usage by like 100% - but I'm staying away from the inflammatory stuff because, seriously, I've got a measurable reason to do so. If I can reverse and/or control this situation, I'm going to do it. Feeling 80 every morning is not on.

Perhaps most meaningfully of all my tips and tricks, I've changed my attitude about pain. I feel it, but I refuse to listen to it. It's fear that that empowers a chronic pain brain-loop, but now I know what's going on. And knowledge is power. So I say "fuck-you" to pain multiple times a day, and it sure isn't doing me any harm.

On the positive side, my hormone panel came back and, rather surprisingly, I'm in very good shape on that account. Yeah, my estrogen is slightly higher than that of a pre-perimenopausal woman (like by a few points) and my estrogen is slightly lower (like by 4 points), but this is pretty small potatoes in the scheme of things. At my age, it's not unusual to experience hideous estrogen-dominance associated with all kinds of nasty perimenopausal shit.  At this point, I get the occasional hot flash (no more night sweats) and I'm bitchy (but that could just be my personality). Yeah, I know it is taking a toll on my figure but I'm even getting over that. I mean, gorgeous is as gorgeous does. And I won't be in hormonal flux forever. I'm pretty sure I've got time and means to lose a bit of abdominal girth once transition subsides. Not to mention that, if I finally do eschew the carbs for medical reasons, it's going to be that much harder to hold onto unnecessary weight.

Look at me being all optimistic! The more I live, the more I realize that I've got to manage diet-induced inflammation if I want to a) be pain-free and b) slim. I think this has finally hit home. But you know how I don't believe in peaking early. So let's not get attached. :-)

17 comments:

  1. I am 59 and have had back issues since I was a teenager. Regular visits to the chiropractor and exercise seemed to be helpful, up until about 4 years ago...then I got a feeling that all was not the same as before. I have burning lower back pain that radiates to both my hips. I finally insisted the doctor check it out further and yes, it is osteoarthritis. After that diagnosis, it turns out my father's side of the family is riddled with arthritis of this type. I am finding the ideas and tips on your blog very informative. I hope that they continue to help you. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting health journey - thank you for sharing. I'm all ears because of a painful knee & leg & plantar fascitis foot. I'm working on it and hopefully it will get better, because I love to (need to!) walk.

    As far as the veggies, I would suggest learning to make delicious healthy sauces, using you favorite spices. Makes a world of difference!

    OK - carry on and good luck! Keep us posted.
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris: I so hope that your knee and foot get better soon. I've had both of those sorts of pain in the past - and they suck. On the plus side, I'm not having those challenges right now. So it's very likely your issues will resolve as you keep up the good work. Good idea about the sauces. I've also started cutting up broccoli really small and adding it into everything. As long as I can't feel the tree texture, it's all good :-)

      Delete
  3. B: I am sorry to hear this - I'm sorry for anyone who has to deal with this sort of pain because it really is difficult (to understate things). But I'm so pleased if my posts can have even the smallest positive impact. That's why I write! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and also, I started feeling the pain in my teens too. But how could we have ever suspected the beginnings of arthritis at that point??

      Delete
  4. Oh bummer. I feel your pain. I have been on a quest for anti-inflammatories for a decade, since I lost Fred the kidney. (For Ethel's protection NSAIDS are a no-no.) The harsh truth is that I have found few that work. And when they do (curcumin) the doses required are prohibitively spendy. And still only 1/2 as effective as a nuclear dose of Naproxen. Epsom salt baths are my friend. As is tramadol. Cayenne cream is helpful on trigger points of joint pain, but ridiculously difficult to avoid getting any in your eyes or on objects. Even washing your hands doesn't remove all of it.

    One thing though: DIM. It's a super concentrated tablet of cruciferous goodness. Specifically to help regulate e-dominance. It gloms onto receptors so the 'bad' unstable estrogens are unablr to adhere. It's great peri time protection. Seriously. I'll take a tablet of DIM over a bowl of cauliflower & broccoli any day. And I'm a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - you have 1 kidney? I guess wine is not part of your daily regimen :-) That curcmin is ridiculously spendy (and I'm eating it like tic tacs). I tried the tramadol when I broke my foot (6 years ago). I don't recall it working that well but I sense I didn't give it much of a chance to work. I'm ready to give it another go. BTW, one of my new (hormone regulation) supplements has a bunch of DIM in it. And believe it or not, I'm about to eat a bowl of broccoli and cauliflower too. Fortunately it's roasted and coated with so much oil and herbs that I'm hoping I won't notice.

      Delete
    2. Luckily, wine is *not* on the no-go list. What is: heavy proteins & NSAID anti-inflammatories. I was already a long-time veggie, so the first presented no problems - but the 2nd....yeah, I hate to contemplate an old age without those.

      Delete
    3. Really - I didn't know that you're still allowed to drink (in moderation, obvs) under those circumstances. How awesome :-) But who knew about the NSAIDs? I have largely weaned myself from them because, honestly, I don't find them particularly useful for anything but migraines (strangely). And mercifully those are not prevalent right now. If I have a very bad back day, I will resort to Advil gel caps, but it merely takes the edge off. My roasted vegetables were AWESOME, btw.

      Delete
  5. Wow this is so fascinating. I can imagine that, as you say, once you know what this is, in some ways although daunting you can more easily muster your considerable intelligence to deal with it. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Honestly, having something to hang this on makes me feel much less alone in the universe. Not that it's a picnic, natch, but I have so many resources and protective factors at my access. Now's the time to rejoice for those.

      Delete
  6. Something your doctor probably neglected to tell you was that vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so if you take any cod liver oil or fish oil supplement be sure to take them together or at least take it with your highest fat content food of the day. My levels of D really improved when I started taking cod liver oil with it.

    I have rheumatoid arthritis and have found diet to play a *significant* role in my inflammation. I had at first given up the nightshade vegetables with good results, but after developing gastroparesis and having to avoid all dairy because I have become so intolerant, I have experienced a major improvement in my RA. I can even eat limited nightshades without a problem. Also it is only fair to state that I also consume large amounts of ginger which is also an anti-inflammatory, and I eat a low carbohydrate diet. I remember having people tell me that giving up dairy cured their RA and I used to think I could never give up dairy, but when you get sick enough you'll try anything. I just wish I had tried it sooner. Hopefully you’ll find your answers more quickly than I did.

    The main advice I would give anyone who is dealing with health issues is to be proactive and learn all that you can from as many sources as you can. In the past I relied on my doctor for information way more than I should have. The internet has a ton of information and you’ll likely have to wade through a lot to get to what’s relevant to you, but I've learned look at healing as a journey instead of an event. My heart goes out to you. I developed RA at 30 and then spinal stenosis in my early 40’s so I feel your pain. I really hope you find the help and support you need to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine: I do know that vit D is fat soluble (though I don't think my ND told me). What never occurred to me is that I should be taking it with fat - don't ask me why!? So thanks for that advice!

      I've given up the nightshades (except for potatoes, which I've seriously cut down on), more because I find they disagree with my tummy more and more. Fortunately, it's not my fave food category.

      Your comment about proactiveness is SO important and I couldn't agree more. I spend a lot of time reading, researching, asking questions, getting second opinions. Health isn't binary, it's about very complex interconnections. The more we can apply the knowledge to our unique scenarios, the healthier we'll be. Thanks so much for commenting and sharing your wealth of experience. I wish you, too, all the best on your healing journey!

      Delete
  7. Your path has been amazing to follow Kristin! I think you're amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz: Thank you! I worry that these posts are dull for most but they do reflect my life at the moment, so I appreciate knowing that they are interesting to some :-) xo

      Delete
  8. My husband, who is 44, has the hips and knees of an 80 year old. He's too young for replacements so I'm slowly working him onto a less inflammatory diet (which is helping), but he absolutely swears by CherryFlex as a supplement. For him its reduced his pain significantly. Obviously this is just his experience, but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone else to try to see if it has any impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, so he's a younger man? Love that! BTW, I've started drinking tart cherry juice in concentrate format (not sure if you have that in UK). It's a bit like syrup you dilute. Would work really well to pump up a tart or to add to yogurt. I don't really like cherry so I just drink it diluted (but with Perrier it would be tastier). I haven't been taking it long enough to comment on its efficacy, and arguably I'm doing so many things that who can detangle one from the next as yet. They say you shouldn't front load all of the potential treatments but I say, fuck that. Anyone who's been in serious pain knows you do as many things, as fast as possible, to gain improvement. Giving your husband very healthy knee vibes. I do think he might find bioavailable curcumin capsules helpful too! And get vit D tested! xo

      Delete