Monday, August 24, 2015

2015 Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Still Tinkering

OK, give me 3 hours and I'll change it up. Whatever it is.

I've had the opp to read the very helpful comments on my last posts - namely the one wherein Anne recommends that I should consider making the Sunny knit top in a rather drapey fabric (on the basis of feedback from another sewist who's made and blogged about it). And if there's one thing I do it's take Anne's advice seriously. Fortunately, I'm sure I've got some rayon jersey lying around in the appropriate yardage - even if I have to mix and match a bit. I'm still not sure how the hell to alter that pattern to make it fit - though I suspect it will involve narrowing the pieces at the centre back. Might as well do a (wearable) muslin, no? I could just go buy more fabric!

The other thing that I remembered was this adorable pattern I've wanted to make since first I saw it. Zoe profiled her version of it today and now I must haveone too! So I might have to either add an item to the capsule collection (egad!) or replace one of the pieces with this cardi. I'll let my energy level and fabric opportunities dictate the outcome. Yet another reason that I may need to go fabric shopping. Are you seeing a theme here?

Let me say, I sure do wish I'd bought the Jenna cardigan pattern when it came out because, when the dollar was on par, I'd have saved 25% just for clicking a button at a different time. Ah, the world economy. Who can make sense of these things?

Thoughts or feelings?

Updated: But wait - there's more... People, I have a problem. It's a serious problem and I'm only sort of joking. I am a fancy-knit-fabric-aholic. I had a doc appt at the end of the day which just so happens to be reasonably close to the new fabric store I love. A propos of Anne's suggestion that the Sunny top have drape, I knew immediately what fabric I would buy (just in case):

It's the modal from last week only in sweatshirt grey (as I like to call it):

Here it is in all it's drapey perfection!!!
I wish I could describe the drape and hand of this fabric. It's so beautiful. So stretchy with snap-back. It's got 50 percent stretch in both directions but it is nothing like your standard rayon jersey. You CANNOT see through it. It weighs a ton. It feels like a million bucks.


This shot is overexposed but it gives a sense of the fabric fall. This stuff is HEAVY but sleek.

BTW, I don't know if my French terry is too thick for the Sunny. It's pretty sleek too (which is the only reason I could get with it). I don't like puffy fabric. Also, I do want a look with a bit of structure in its oversizedness. That's not to say I shouldn't have some of this fabric on hand to make the initial version. I'm steeling myself to cut into something so, well, fine. But there's no way to make a garment in gorgeous fabric unless you actually cut into it, right? Arguably the hard part is the buying, and that's done! And honestly, if I don't feel confident cutting up nice fabric at this point, I'm wasting my time.

But look at the other fabric that actually whispered (metaphorically) from across the room: Hey, Kristin - you want me for the Jenna sweater (which I've given 4 seconds of thought to):


I truly don't know what this fabric is made of. I should have asked?!? I just saw it and said: I'll take a yard and a half please. Here's hoping that's enough.


Is this teal? I honestly don't know. As soon as you think it's blue, it looks green. Then you think it looks green, or is it? I don't even like the colour green?!?!

This is a 2 way stretch. It's a very fine sweater knit. You can see the purl stitches on the wrong side, but just. It weighs less than the modal but it's thicker, spongier with 50% stretch on the cross-grain.

Here's the problem wonderful news for the local economy: I appear to have no self-control when it comes to the good stuff. I am so awed by the possibility of sewing with this stuff - like on a regular basis - that I'm all: Pack it up. But I am going to have to show some restraint for the next little while or until I use up all the fabric I've recently purchase aka 2 weeks from now. The modal is 22 bucks a yard. The other fabric (substance and colour unknown, apparently) is 25 bucks a yard. By the time tax was thrown in, I spent 80 bucks on 3 yards of fabric. Um, yeah.

But I want you to know that I resisted this insane fabric that was part rayon, part cotton and spandex. That was 45 bucks a yard. So really, I saved money. And I'm taking the hit for all the potential buyers who read this blog, experimenting as it were. It's like my public service. :-)

18 comments:

  1. Bahahahaha - i loved every minute of this post! Those fabric look amazing. One day when I feel rich I really need to go fabric shopping with you!
    For what it's worth, I've made 2 jenna cardis and they were not the best on me... but the one I gave to Anne and it looked much better on her bust than mine! Which means that it will look fab on you. I do think it's best worn buttoned up, so keep that in mind.
    Did the fabric store people recognise you? They will soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I knew you'd be all over this post! And the entire time I kept thinking - Gillian's got to go to this place and buy all the fabrics and do a video post. People need to know! I seem to recall you doing the Jenna but I only decided to buy it in 3 seconds while eating lunch. I'm going to revisit your posts. I sense it's good for the boobs - but I hear you about buttoning (my greatest fear as a woman with a big rack!). I've got to go slowly and proceed with caution :-)

      They didn't quite recognize me but I reminded them of who I am and made friends big time. They told me they look forward to seeing me again soon. I suggested they might not have to wait long.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, thornberry's Sunny is cute, but it seems overly droopy to me. I like Blogless Anna's version; it highlights the cocoon shape more.

    (And Blogless Anna does in fact have a blog!)

    I love that grey modal. I've been looking to make a pair of skirted leggings, and I suspect that fabric would be perfect. Now I need to convince myself that $70 leggings (with a skirt though!) are a sound investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree. I think that Thornberry's rationale for more drape is that it give space in the arms. I'd rather just increase the arm circumference, as necessary. And I have pretty slim arms. I have to say that the modal is insanely gorgeous to touch. Once you've felt it, you will be powerless.

      Delete
    2. ...then I guess it's a good thing that my family is going to the Ex without me! I just spent a bunch on (completely nesessary) underthings, so my clothing budget is shot for a while.

      Delete
  3. you totally saved money! i love the jenna cardie. i have only made the view with the shoulder inserts, which i am guessing isn't your cup of tea, but i really love it. i have made 3 (and counting!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you blog on it? My memory is crap... I do like the yoked version with the gathers. I don't know which I'll do first but I intend to make them both, if the pattern fits me well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's pretty hard to argue with that! Off to inspect that forum post more carefully :-) At least I have all the options at my access...

      Delete
  5. I've never commented on your blog before, but I am all about capsule wardrobe planning right now so your post caught my eye. I wish I had some tips on how to resist that urge to buy all the nice fabric, but I am a long time sufferer and I can't even say I regret any of it. That is how bad I am. I do, however, find a nice modal/spandex on eBay (oh my gosh, $45 per yard it is definitely not). It runs reasonably affordable and it is nice. Really nice. Springy and drapey and I have gotten some nice colors that, from what I see here, might be in your color scheme. What I particilarly like is that they list the weight of it, so you know how it compares. Here is an example:
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281509207175&globalID=EBAY-US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks so much for commenting! That link is very interesting - off to do some more review :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your comment. Off to do some modal ebay recon :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow! I love that fabric in the teal-y turquiose-y green color! :)

    I love the feel of modal, but not how it shows every curve. That fabric doesn't lie. I just realized it might be very nice as a loose drapey batwing top. I should try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it gorgeous? Do you think it's green or blue?? I think modal is perfect for a batwing top.

      Delete
  7. Oh, be still the fabric drool! These look gorgeous. I think I'm glad this store is a three-day drive away from me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's a helpful distance. But eventually you're going to find yourself in this hood - and then let's test your restraint.

      Delete