Tuesday, November 25, 2014

This Thing is a Perfect Holiday Gift*

A work friend is obsessed with tea. I get that; I'm obsessed with lots of things. My kid, also, is utterly nuts for the stuff - particularly all of the crazy (and many hideous, truth be told) flavours available at David's. (Every heard of Birthday Tea? Seriously, sparkles and tea should not mix.) My mother loves matcha and other varietals, particularly the hardcore, antioxidant ones. 

Poll 10 people. 8 of them are going to be bonkers for the tea and its accessories.

Here's the thing: While some of the flavours are concerning, many are recognizable and of rather high quality. Moreover, the accessories and marketing at David's Tea pull all the punches. In addition to the most adorable tea boxes and mugs and tins of tea available, this store also stocks an amazing little gizmo - one even I can get with:



It's called the Steeper (as you can see) and it comes in two sizes. The 18 oz is about 20 bucks and it makes a perfect cup of loose leaf tea with utterly NO fuss. You simply put the leaves into the carafe and then add water till the carafe is 3/4 full, steep and - this is the cool part - put the carafe atop your cup, press down and the tea pours through a gate at the base. Rinse the carafe with water to get rid of the residue. That's the whole story.

Did I mention that it looks great?

Wrap this up (it's boxed) with some leaves and you've got an affordable gift for under 40 bucks. 

You're welcome.

PS: Nobody's paying me to say this.

*And while you're at it, get one for yourself (unless you're my mother).

10 comments:

  1. I'm a tea traditionalist (we drink loose tea here, a blend of Russian Caravan and Lapsang Souchong, bought through the venerable BC very-Brit-colonial Murchies), and I was very skeptical of the whole Davids thing. But then my sister got me a tin of the Cinnamon Rooibos Chai and hello! No artifical ingredients, and it's delish, great for a late-day non-caffeine treat. . . And that steeper does look helpful (although I'm trying to eschew all the tea gadgets, having somehow collected drawers-ful, even though I really don't mind the leaves!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really popular flavour, apparently. I'm going to try the new Vanilla Chai (though sometimes vanilla in tea is weird). Really, you have to get this gadget. I bought one for myself and I use it CONSTANTLY at work.

      Delete
  2. Time to fess up: I don't care for tea at all. Unless I'm so very I'll. But, that would make a good gift. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that steeper and can attest to how wonderful it is! Makes brewing loose tea so simple and easy. I stick to the traditional David's teas. My nightly ritual is steeping the loose organic peppermint tea in my handy, dandy teapot! Ah.. so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it, Anon!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know! Teavana sells one online (on sale till 11/30 for 12 bucks). Even with crazy shipping it's a deal.

      Delete
  5. There is only one tea: Green. Antioxidant, mildly waker-uppering and aids digestion. Dunk bag in cup. Throw away bag. Sorted. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are so wrong! I hate green tea. But it's hard to quibble with teabags. I get that. :-)

      Delete