Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Summer Series

Yesterday I began to plan my summer projects. Really, who doesn't love planning? You get to pick your fabrics, notions, buy and check your patterns. You get to decide whether to purchase anew or shop your stash. You get to look at a calendar (while using your imagination), to write down dates. All of the potential in the universe is before you. The arbitrary becomes concrete (sort of) - but in the most attractive way.

I'm not going to bog this post down with the minutiae. There's time enough for that as time goes by. But I do want to introduce the abstract:

The High-Level Deets:

Planning - April 25 - May 10
Making Stuff - May 10 - August 25
Number of Garments - 9
Sewn - 7
Knitted - 2

The Breakdown:

Sewing Bracket 1 - The Five in Five 

(I'm fairly certain there's no way I've actually made up this concept. If y'all know who's done a series with this title, pls. advise and I'll link.)

Sewing Bracket 2 - The Cherry Bomb

Knitting 1 - A Guernsey Triangle of My Own

Knitting 2 - The Late-Summer Abbreviated Coat

The Concepts:

The Five in Five: This is a group of 5 (mainly knit) garments for mid-summer - 3 dresses, 1 top and a skirt which I will aim to make over 5 weeks, give or take. I hope that these pieces will be chic and tough -  great for work or play, throughout the summer, but never fussy. Please stay tuned as I determine which patterns and fabrics I intend to use.

The Cherry Bomb: This is the bra/undies set I intend to make - after making a muslin that is radically different than any of the others (which haven't worked). No, I don't have much hope for this either. But one must try. And I've accepted that this is about the learning.

A Guernsey Triangle of My Own: Do I really need to explain this one? I LOVE this thing. Sure, the idea of knitting it again is vaguely concerning. But there's nothing like knitting in one's garden. Or, over lunch, in the gardens at work.

The Late-Summer Abbreviated Coat: Sure, it's a sweater (though it calls itself a coat), but I suspect this one is the outlier. I'm still swatching and thinking, but I have the yarn and I'd love for this to be ready by the early fall.

The Back Story:  Something tells me that I may have a reputation for being a bit spendthrift, which is why I'm pleased to report that - with the exception of sewing machine needles and thread - I'll be shopping my stash this summer.

Sure, if you dig deep even the slightest amount, it might occur to you that, initially, I bought my stash (and some of it as recently as this month). But I choose to believe that's not the point.

What About That Other Suit You're Gonna Make?

Don't you know it's rude to bring up this omission? 

OK, my goal is to make the suit in September. I will consider (and trace) the re-drafting I intend to do on the jacket throughout August. I'm likely to buy the fabric as early as early-May. The truth is, I need a break. Not cuz I'm overwhelmed (though that's not a bad supposition) but because I need to dwell on this and wear the spring version of the suit for the next while.

Today's questions: What do you think of this? Have you planned your summer projects? Do you even craft in the summer, or is that just wrong? Which of these projects is most appealing, as far as you're concerned? Let's talk!

29 comments:

  1. Ooooooh I cannot wait to see how this all progresses. I'm itching to clear a couple of projects that are on the table to start summer sewing in earnest. So far I've planned two outfits:a red skirt and blouse and a denim skirt with a yellow print blouse. It's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds terrific! Can't wait to see the yellw blouse and I think it would also look good with a red skirt, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. Look at me...co-ordinating outfits. Unheard of!

      Delete
  3. I love a good plan and am truly impressed with those who plan and better yet carry it through. Which by the way I have no doubt that you will be able to do. I, of course, will be watching ever step - all the time wishing that I could actually, really plan a little cohesive summer wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence! Sometimes I have my doubts :-)

      Delete
  4. Are you a project manager at work? ;) I'm an analyst so I get stuck in my own analysis paralysis..

    I have to start planning for summer! I have somewhat of a TNT sleeveless top... So might attempt more tops and maybe a simple dress derivative of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be :-) Now, weirdly enough, I'm an analyst too! (But an impatient one.)

      Delete
  5. Your plan sounds great and I can't wait to read more about The Bra, and about the pattern drafting experience. I think you'll enjoy it very much.

    My plan for the summer is the V8333, as a wearable muslin (from stash fabric) and then with a fabric-of choice yet to be purchased. Started reading the instructions yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roni! And I wish you all the best with 8333. Keep us posted.

      Delete
  6. I love how organised you are! As always, I love hearing about/seeing fancy bras, so I look forward to your progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so impressed that you actually have dates planned! my sewing happens in whatever increments i can squeeze in, so i never know if i'll be able to complete something in a day or have a half-finished tee shirt in my machine for a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed that you sew anything - what with 4 kiddies to manage. That's enough project management for one woman, yes??

      Delete
  8. I used to try to have plans, but as soon as I'd post about them on my blog, said plans would blow up in my face. That being said, I can't wait to see the stuff you make during SewFest 2013! Especially the bra/panties set, trying on bras yesterday made the itch to try again come back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, don't say that! :-) I figure, I'm going to do what I'm going to do and, this way, I get some fun blog posts out of it.

      Delete
  9. I love the plan. As others have mentioned, it takes some talent to work this all out with dates. I am much more haphazard. I really like the idea of the five in five and may have to try to copy it. I am currently concentrating on pants and fitting them. This is a full-time job and then some. This is a little off since I do wear more dresses and skirts in the summer. The lucky (not really) thing for me is that in Seattle the summer doesn't start until July so I have some time to make and wear spring clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do the 5 in 5! That would be fun company. And I cannot imagine that I've made this up. Seems too popular a gimmick :-)

      Delete
  10. I am contemplating sewing myself a dress this summer. It will be the first garment I've ever made, so I'm thinking simple, but also something I'll wear. I have to do some pattern browsing.

    Other than that, lots and lots of knitting. I'm a year-round knitter, but in the summer I like small things. So, socks (always socks) and shawls, and maybe a sweater that's knit in pieces. I have yarn for all those things, so perhaps this will be a from-the-stash summer for me too. Planning is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one of the dresses I choose (and I'm going for EASY, trust me!) may work for you too. Stay tuned for more deets. BTW, there's a really good pattern sale on at Vogue Patterns (but prob just for another day or so). You could get a very popular and flattering dress (I've seen it on ALL body types) by DKNY - V1179.

      Delete
  11. A woman after my own heart. I'm planner through and through. The planning gene runs in my veins heavier than blood. Sometimes I think I enjoy planning more than I enjoy making. As for crafting in the summer, I'm all for it. I tend to focus on summer blouses and tops and leave the knitting behind. But, this year I have plans to knit an alpaca sweater during the summer just so it's ready in time for fall and my anticipated return date at work. Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do too! It's the time when everything is possible. Can't wait to read about the sweater. And I didn't think return to work was coming up so soon!

      Delete
  12. OOOh, I love your plans. I'm highly productive in the summer, probably because I do less work travel and take more days off. That said, I still sew one project at a time without too much of a plan and almost never with a deadline. I think my knitting will mostly be baby gifts this summer since *everyone* I know is pregnant.

    Aside - Cherry Bomb has got to be the best name for panties that might not work out in the end that I've ever heard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too enjoy summer crafting. It seems stolen. And, I have to be as "down to earth" about that lingerie as possible. I can't get invested in the outcome. :-)

      Delete
  13. I can't wait to see your progress! I made my first ever sewing list last year and it's been so fantastic at keeping me on track with my sewing. I need to make a new winter version now, and I'm hoping I'll be just as motivated by it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is useful! And fun, don't you think? Some people stay motivated by a project plan. Others get all irritated by it. I think it's great if it works for you.

      Delete
  14. As soon as I'd made a plan like this and hit post, I'd be distracted away by some other shiny object or curious question. I tend to work in that direction and eventually get there. That said...

    ... I'm looking forward to the bra and panty set. I can hardly wait until you conquer that subject matter and start sewing all the fabulous lingerie you enjoy. You're just the girl for the job. Did you download the new Demystifying Bra Fit book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I did get the book (the day it came out). Did you? I think it's a good addition but I'm not sure it's definitive. I've got to work with it before I critique it.

      Delete