Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gauge the Situation: Fingering Weight Options

The price I may pay for a truly awesome New Year's Eve (and, trust me, I'm not into this holiday on any grand scale) is the crappy cold that's so going around. Don't pity me. I went in with open eyes. I drank that booze and ate that sugar and fat and flour and dairy and côte de boeuf. OMG, the côte de boeuf... I danced around like a banshee. I yelled dirty jokes across the room. I stayed up late. I stayed out. I walked home in the cold. (And who knows, I may stave if off with a couple of days of doing nothing, my new and only activity till the weekend. If nothing else, it would be novel to have a common bug, for a change :-)) Just please don't tell my mother.

There's an alchemy in long-standing friendship, a peaceful, playful camaraderie. The best thing about aging, I suppose, (in addition to the improvement of one's intelligence and skills for all of the extra time to learn) is the opportunity to know the people you've loved for that much longer.

At any rate, blogging is one of those things I can happily accomplish while sitting on my ass.

Let's get back to the Gauge the Situation series. You know, that endless trail of posts wherein I talk about the outcomes of making 4 sweaters of different weights (fingering, sport, DK and worsted) and discuss the merits and detractors of each.

Thing is, I can't say no to any sweaters so I've actually knit 3 others that weren't in the queue. And a couple of scarves. What? There's no deadline!

But now we're back to it - to the last of the 4 weights and the slimmest - fingering. I really want to ask you for your impressions of the options which are to follow but I fear it would be disingenuous because, truthfully, I'm almost half way through the fingering sweater I long ago decided to make. Of course, your feedback is incredibly appreciated and useful on so many levels, but I have a bunch of rationales for the one I chose.

Instead, perhaps you'd indulge me by guessing which one of the following you think I chose:

Obsidian by Lisa Mutch

Raiun by Kirsten Johnstone
And then my (apparent) pictorial-ode to vintage-knitting queen Susan Crawford:

Princess Twinset Jumper

Sun-Ray Ribbing

Knitters Delight
 And here's the yarn I'm using (lots more on this to follow):

Jade Sapphire Mongolian Cashmere (100%)

I'd love it for you to tell us which one you'd make or have made or which you think I should have chosen! I'll let you know if you called it right tomorrow! :-)

12 comments:

  1. I'm going to guess the Sun-Ray Ribbing, just because I think you'll be intrigued by how those points of the sun-rays are constructed (and might be slightly less fussy than A Stitch in Time?)
    Personally, I'm mesmerized by the simple, architectural glory of the Obsidian, at least as photographed here, in that colour. Other Ravelry shots take it down a few notches, but it's perfect here (although prob. not for my figure)
    Happy New Year! Take it easy now that you've had a burst of fun, 'kay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that the sun-ray was the first handmade sweater pattern I ever noticed that totally knocked my socks off.

      And, yeah, I got the cold. I want to say what an idiot I am for having overdone it to this extent but, you know, I had an awesome, life-affirming evening and the truth is, I've been living in a house with 2 people who got this cold (while running my ass off making the holidays for peeps). I think it was bound to happen.

      What I'm extremely grateful for is that this bug truly does feel like a cold - it's impacting my nose and throat but my throat is not closing up (knock on wood). It's a totally different sickness! One I can relate to and that zillions of people get and then recover from a week later!

      I also should mention that after pertussis, a cold is far less hard to handle. Not that I'm being glib in any way. I would still much prefer not to have it.

      Delete
  2. I personally like the Obsidian the best - but I think you chose (1) twinset jumper, or (2) Knitters Delight. I do think you would choose the Sunray - it's more your style - however, I don't think you would ultimately pick it (too much bust emphasis) - but it would emphasize your figure in the best way....so I hope you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Pam. I love this comment. Please stay tuned...

      Delete
  3. Oooh guessing games, fun! Well my money would be on one of the last three... picking one of those three is tricky though... at a complete guess, "knitters delight"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to guess also :-) I want to tell you right here and now but it would defeat the next post!

      Delete
  4. I love Sun-Ray Ribbing design, Obsidian is also very beautiful, but I'm not sure that it looks that good in dynamic (when you are moving you arms).

    Happy New Year!
    And smooth and fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the Obsidian has a few ways to be worn. That collar can act as a cowl or one should design - so it's actually fairly versatile according to the pics...

      Happy new year to you and I'm sure a few days of rest will have me right as rain.

      Delete
  5. Having made (and struggled) with Obsidian I have to say it is a nice pattern - though the cowl is a bit problematic, as evidenced by most of the projects.

    I managed to make it fit over the shoulders shoulders, but now doubt I will ever wear the collar that way, as it is too fussy and not that comfortable. I may have to frog it back ONE LAST time and put the extra length into the body.

    Love the slip stitch trick for the back and forth garter, though. Will use that forever!

    My guess on your choice is going to be the Princess Twinset. Think that would look so perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience with the Obsidian has informed my choice. I don't know how I feel about a cowl that's that fussy to make up. I don't know the slip stitch trick, but perhaps I'll learn it elsewhere. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm such a dork...just saw your most recent post!!! At least I was right (if a bit of a dum dum). HAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - it's great that you started in the right order!

      Delete